I started with the trailer to this movie even though I've seen it about a million times. I'm one of the Disney generation. Having been born in the great year of 1989 which also gave us "The Little Mermaid" I grew up on the classic Disney movies of the '90's. I was 6 when the first of the Toy Story trilogy came out and 21 when I saw the final. I basically grew up with Andy.
To kick off my 100 movies I watched the original trailer. Though the quality on Youtube left much to be desired I remembered it all with ease and was excited to watch the actual movie. From beginning to end this is a classic. Protagonist Woody (Tom Hanks) fulfills his role as Sherrif by saving the beloved Wheezy who is destined for the garage sale. Despite his good intentions he ends up being captured by the dastardly Big Al (Wayne Knight). The other toys go on a rescue mission and Woody decide if his future lies in Japan behind glass or being played with by his best friend Andy.
Down to the little styrofoam popcorn pieces and the paint drying when Woody's foot is covered, Pixar is practice in perfection. (haha like my alliteration??) You know it's a cartoon but at the same time the level of realness is incredible. I've always enjoyed Disney cartoons and since Shrek, I've hated computer animated movies, which is a shame since almost all are done by computer nowadays. Of course, Disney makes such a better computer animated movie and I've loved most. Maybe I just hated the Shrek series. Speaking of, did anyone notice how Monsters, Inc. must have been modelled after the great baggage scene at the airport? They search for a specific bag, Mike and Sulley search for a specific door. I love when Disney does that. Which brings me tooooooo the fourth wall. I love how it occasionally breaks the fourth wall and recognizes the absurdity of it all. Especially the parts of it are pretend TV icons that have become real movie icons. It makes me feel like I'm a toy witnessing all the actions of Woody and his pal.
toy Story 2 has seamlessly blended old characters and new. Buzz, Slinky Dog, Mr. Potato Head, etc are joined by Barbie, Jessie, Bullseye, and Stinky Pete. While most are welcome additions I'm not going to lie, Joan Cusack's accent as Jessie was pretty annoying. I expected her to burst out with a "dontcha know" at the end of every sentence. But my favorite has to be the character/cameo of the old cleaner guy is the same one who takes his teeth out in the chess playing Pixar short that I love! Or it could be the LGMs (Little Green Men), who will always save the day ("Use the wand of power!")
Though I usually just like to enjoy movies for its entertainment value I did notice the whole aspect of hubris and knowing where you came from. Woody has all this pride at being a super special toy when in actuality he's just some kid's toy. Nothing really special at all. But what's better? Being praised by all or being loved by few?
Foreshadowing of the final installment of the trilogy, Jessie asks if Andy will really take Woody to his high school graduation as all toy lovers must grow up. Then Woody tell Buzz it'll be fun while it lasts and he'll always have his old pal Buzz there with him. But that's for another post, because I don't want to ruin the end of the series if you haven't seen it.
All in all, I think this was a fabulous movie to begin with. It came out when I was 10 and still played with toys. I could follow the plot and now at the ripe old age of 22 I get some of the deeper meanings and can appreciate the artistic value of the movie. Despite the great but slow moving flashback of Jessie and Emily it's an overall fast paced movie that anyone can enjoy. The references are hilarious and slapstick comedy where toys are concerned is always welcome. This is a movie I will return to again and again and watch at least another million times.
To kick off my 100 movies I watched the original trailer. Though the quality on Youtube left much to be desired I remembered it all with ease and was excited to watch the actual movie. From beginning to end this is a classic. Protagonist Woody (Tom Hanks) fulfills his role as Sherrif by saving the beloved Wheezy who is destined for the garage sale. Despite his good intentions he ends up being captured by the dastardly Big Al (Wayne Knight). The other toys go on a rescue mission and Woody decide if his future lies in Japan behind glass or being played with by his best friend Andy.
Down to the little styrofoam popcorn pieces and the paint drying when Woody's foot is covered, Pixar is practice in perfection. (haha like my alliteration??) You know it's a cartoon but at the same time the level of realness is incredible. I've always enjoyed Disney cartoons and since Shrek, I've hated computer animated movies, which is a shame since almost all are done by computer nowadays. Of course, Disney makes such a better computer animated movie and I've loved most. Maybe I just hated the Shrek series. Speaking of, did anyone notice how Monsters, Inc. must have been modelled after the great baggage scene at the airport? They search for a specific bag, Mike and Sulley search for a specific door. I love when Disney does that. Which brings me tooooooo the fourth wall. I love how it occasionally breaks the fourth wall and recognizes the absurdity of it all. Especially the parts of it are pretend TV icons that have become real movie icons. It makes me feel like I'm a toy witnessing all the actions of Woody and his pal.
toy Story 2 has seamlessly blended old characters and new. Buzz, Slinky Dog, Mr. Potato Head, etc are joined by Barbie, Jessie, Bullseye, and Stinky Pete. While most are welcome additions I'm not going to lie, Joan Cusack's accent as Jessie was pretty annoying. I expected her to burst out with a "dontcha know" at the end of every sentence. But my favorite has to be the character/cameo of the old cleaner guy is the same one who takes his teeth out in the chess playing Pixar short that I love! Or it could be the LGMs (Little Green Men), who will always save the day ("Use the wand of power!")
Though I usually just like to enjoy movies for its entertainment value I did notice the whole aspect of hubris and knowing where you came from. Woody has all this pride at being a super special toy when in actuality he's just some kid's toy. Nothing really special at all. But what's better? Being praised by all or being loved by few?
Foreshadowing of the final installment of the trilogy, Jessie asks if Andy will really take Woody to his high school graduation as all toy lovers must grow up. Then Woody tell Buzz it'll be fun while it lasts and he'll always have his old pal Buzz there with him. But that's for another post, because I don't want to ruin the end of the series if you haven't seen it.
All in all, I think this was a fabulous movie to begin with. It came out when I was 10 and still played with toys. I could follow the plot and now at the ripe old age of 22 I get some of the deeper meanings and can appreciate the artistic value of the movie. Despite the great but slow moving flashback of Jessie and Emily it's an overall fast paced movie that anyone can enjoy. The references are hilarious and slapstick comedy where toys are concerned is always welcome. This is a movie I will return to again and again and watch at least another million times.
Post a Comment